Thursday, October 23, 2014

Cricket's Life

Before I get started, let me just say that it's been a VERY long time since I've blogged on a regular basis.  I had to give myself a break from all things online (except Facebook...Facebook is my one and only addiction..lol).

Few things about me:

Cricket is not my real name.  It's a nickname my family called me when I was little and I've always gone back to it when I blog.  

I just turned 40 in June.  OMG.  That was rough to type because I still visualize myself as the carefree 20 year old with the retail job and no kids.  It helps that I still get carded suspiciously at the liquor store when I'm buying wine.  You can tell that the clerk is ready to tell me to get out the store, that there is no way that I'm over the legal age for alcohol consumption.  Hahaha...joke's on you, Clerk Boy!  

I just got married on October 11th.  I'm still in the "Oh my goodness, what am I forgetting to do for the wedding?" mode even though everything went well without too many hiccups.  I freely admit that it was my fault my sister had to run back to her car to get the rings DURING the ceremony but that was the worst thing that happened and at the end of the day, I was safely ensconced in my husband's car on the way to our honeymoon in Maine so it all worked out.  He and I have been together for 11 years.  He met me during a time that I was at my lowest...I was a single mom with a 3 year old and a five month old.  I had left an abusive relationship with my son's dad and was living with my mother in her one bedroom apartment with both kids.  Mr. Cricket came into my life during the most difficult time in my life but somehow lifted me out of the depths of despair and brought light and love back into my heart.

Yes, I'm a mom to two.  My daughter Maddie, is now 14 and just started high school this year.  That was an eye opener.  She's always been a tomboy.  But this year I've seen her begin to wear a little makeup and start dressing more "girly".  She towers over me..at 5'8", she's almost a 1/2 foot taller than me which she loves to throw in my face.  She's an amazing basketball player and is just counting down the days until tryouts and she sees if she has what it takes to make the junior varsity team.  

My son Chase is 11 years old and his passion is not for sports but for singing.  He loves to perform and is eagerly looking forward to the day that he can try out for American Idol (if it's still around by then).  He had a very rough time in elementary school...felt like an outsider and that no one was his friend.  Thankfully, middle school has been much more kind to him and he's finding his niche which makes me immensely grateful and relieved.

There are other major characters in my life that I'll talk about as we go along and you get to know me better.  I'm always open to discussions and questions and comments (and post suggestions as I'm often prone to writer's block).  Speaking of writer's block, I'm also going to be attempting NaNoWriMo this November and will post my progress as the month goes on!


No comments:

Post a Comment